California-based brand Grenco Science (visit store) has long been in business and gained a lot of popularity upon the release of their original G-Pen. G-Pen set themselves apart in a saturated market by creating smaller, more portable devices at a time where several manufacturers were coming out with devices that were much larger.
Their latest device, the G-Pen Micro+ (Plus) is an updated version of the classic G-Pen Micro. The Micro+ was definitely designed with stealth and discretion at the top of the priority list It sports a clean, sleek, pen-like body and is more feature-packed than most vape-pens on the market today.
It’s quite refreshing to see a new and innovative vape pen again – especially since there hasn’t really been anything much happening in that space over the last couple of years. Most vape pens followed a pretty formulaic pattern of being connected to a coil or cartridge and delivered vapor at the push of a button.
The G-Pen Micro+ (Plus) takes that formula and goes a few levels up. It’s comprised of three main components – a food-grade silicone mouthpiece, the Micro+ tank (a quartz coil with ceramic lining) , and the 850mAH battery with 510 threading. One of its more interesting features is 510 cartridge recognition technology, which distinguishes between cartridges and the Micro+ tank.
Compatibility: The Micro+ is compatible with THC/CBD cartridges, and solid concentrates such as dab and wax. I tested the Micro+ with CBD dab from Steve’s Goods (visit Store) and a Delta 8 Cart (visit store) from Industrial Hemp Farms.
Kit & Accessories
Most (if not, all) of G-Pen’s products come with a fairly lean kit that’s simple and straightforward-and the Micro + is no different. It does, however, come with a hemp travel case for easier transport.
- Micro+ (Plus) battery
- Micro+ (Plus) tank
- Mouthpiece assembly (silicone mouthpiece + tank cover)
- keychain tool
- USB-A to USB-C charging cable
- Hemp travel case
Design & Features
According to G-Pen, the Micro+ is made for the “on-the-go concentrates connoisseur“. That’s especially visible in the design language of the device. It’s very sleek, small, and undoubtedly portable. As mentioned earlier, it’s comprised of three main parts – the mouthpiece, Micro+ tank, and the battery – all connected via strong magnets to create a pretty solid, sturdy device.
- Mouthpiece: While most dab pens have a basic mouthpiece that simply channels air upwards, the Micro+’s mouthpiece itself has two main pieces: a ceramic mechanism which cools the vapor as it travels, and an outer silicone cover that protects the airpath.
- Micro+ Battery: This is probably one of the smartest batteries I’ve seen on a device so far. The 850mAH battery makes up the bulk of the device and is rechargeable via USB-C. It has a chip that gets real-time feedback from the coil and makes instant micro-adjustments to the power output in order to keep the temperature at the coil steady and consistent. This is unlike old vapes, where the battery gives max output as long as the button is pressed. This can overheat and burn the extracts. The G-Pen Micro+ keeps a controlled temperature, which provides a more consistent experience.
- Firing Button: The firing button is ergonomically located at the top of the battery and is outlined by an LED light that communicates its current temperature. The battery also has haptic feedback which also indicates settings and statuses, such as “ready to vape.”
How To Use
Using the G-Pen Micro+ is as simple and as straightforward as it gets.
- Load a tiny amount of extracts to the coil, unlock by clicking five times.
- Set the temp by triple-clicking the button- Blue (lowest), Green, and Red (highest). You can either select manual heating by clicking and holding the button or activate automatic heating by clicking twice. Automatic heating keeps the device active for 10 seconds.
On both modes, the light around the button flashes while heating up and becomes solid once the selected temperature has been reached, the haptic feedback also lets you know when the device is ready.
To use the Micro + with a 510 cartridge, simply unscrew the Tank and connect your desired THC or CBD cartridge.
Performance & Vapor Quality
Other than a pretty cool battery, the Micro+ Tank is a feat in itself. It’s lined with both quartz and ceramic that ensures that you get the most out of your concentrates and keeps vapor and flavor as pure as possible.
With this combination of materials inside of a dual-channel stainless-steel enclosure with integrated airflow, the Micro+ Tank is built to provide consistent heat application, optimal flavor profiles on every heat setting, and balanced airflow for maximum vapor production.
Because of all these features and the premium materials that make up the Micro+ Tank, the resulting vapor is excellent. Regardless of whichever extract I used with it – the vapor was always flavorful and rightfully dense.
G-Pen has long been a leader and standard-setter when it comes to vape pens and since then, they’ve expanded and now have quite a wide product range. Which include CBD vaporizers, CBD cartridges, and dry herb vaporizers such as the G-Pen Dash (review | buy), and concentrate devices such as the G-Pen Connect (review | buy).
The Micro+ seems to be an homage to those roots and is a 2021 version of an old-school dab pen. Priced at $80, it’s a definite steal for a very well-made device with all its features. Use the code TVG15 to get 15% off your purchase – which will bring down the price to $67.
It’s currently my favorite device for dabs and 510 carts and I can’t recommend it highly enough. Whether you’re looking for a main concentrate device or a spare to add to your collection – the G-Pen Micro+ is worth checking out. If you’re still browsing, check out our list of the top dab pens of 2021.