The Fury Edge by Healthy Rips (visit homepage) looks like the two previous Fury models as well as the POTV One (Review | Buy) which is a badge-engineered version of the Fury. It’s no surprise that this design is used so often because it offers a lot of features in a sleek, compact form.
The Edge is an upgrade to its previous models: Fury 2 and Fierce. It has a bigger battery life, quicker heat-up time, and produces better vapor. The Edge is a mid-tier vaporizer with features like precise temp control, haptic feedback, and a digital display that shows the battery life and temperature. Aside from that, it also has a nice suite of accessories that some vapers may find useful.
Kit & Accessories
Aside from the unit, charger, and cleaning tools, there are some accessories in the kit:
- Protective Cover – The Edge comes with a smell-proof protective case to keep it safe from dust and dirt. Take note that it only fits with the plastic mouthpiece.
- Concentrate Pad – You can use this to vape wax concentrates. However, I don’t recommend using it because the temperature won’t be high enough to completely vaporize the wax. So just stick to dry herb and stick to your vape pen if you want to use wax.
- Glass Mouthpiece – You can change the plastic mouthpiece with a glass mouthpiece. This is a great accessory since it helps to make the vapor cleaner and purer. Also, you can pull-out the glass attachment to replace it with other accessories.
Healthy Rips has a deal where they will give buyers a free accessory when they purchase the Fury Edge directly from their website. You can choose between:
- Water Pipe Adapter (WPA) – This allows you to attach the Edge to any water pipe. This may not be an appealing choice for the casual user but hardcore users will appreciate it.
- Shred Grinder – This is a great choice for first-time vapers since you’ll need a good grinder to get more vapor from your weed vape.
- Bent Glass Mouthpiece – This mouthpiece is more comfortable to use than the standard glass mouthpiece because you don’t need to hold the Edge directly beneath you to use it. This is my favorite pick since it’s useful for everyone whether you’re a beginner or an experienced user.
Design & Features
The Edge has a small Kirksite alloy body that feels solid and durable. It weighs roughly 5.6 ounces which is a little bit heavier than the previous Fury 2. And because of its minimalistic structure, it’s portable enough to fit inside a pocket and grips to your hand perfectly.
On the side of the device, you’ll see an oval-shaped power button with two buttons for controlling the temperature. It has a LED display on top which has a useful feature- it inverts the way you hold the Fury Edge making it easier to see the temperature and the battery level.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, two mouthpieces are included in the kit, and choosing between them is a matter of preference. For me, I liked using the glass mouthpiece since it makes the vapor cooler and flavorful while the plastic one affects the taste of the vapor. However, I recommend using the plastic mouthpiece if you’re traveling since the glass mouthpiece can easily break.
The Edge has a stainless steel oven with a bunch of air inlet holes underneath it. It can hold anywhere from .15 to .2 grams and can heat-up at about 20 seconds which is much faster than average vapes. It uses convection heating which means that the herbs and the heating element do not come in contact with each other. It also has an isolated vapor path so you’ll definitely inhale a pure and flavorful vapor.
How To Use
The Edge is a simple device with a power button and a temperature dial. It has precise temperature control from 320°F – 430°F (160°C – 221°C) indicated by the digital display. When the device is heating, you don’t need to check it from time to time because it vibrates when the process is done. To use it you need to:
- Remove the mouthpiece to expose the herb chamber.
- Fill the chamber with herbs and then replace the mouthpiece of your choice.
- Press the power button three times to turn on the device.
- Use the control buttons to select the temperature.
- When heating is complete, inhale from the mouthpiece.
Cleaning and Maintenance: The Edge is a low maintenance device since you just need isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs to clean the oven and either mouthpiece.
Performance & Vapor Quality
The Edge has a fast heat-up time and vapes the herbs efficiently. I assume the hybrid heating system helped with fully extracting the herbs since the AVP is brown and crispy. If you’re using it for a while, the body stays cool but the mouthpiece gets warm at a higher temperature. So if you don’t want that, use the glass mouthpiece.
Also, it has a low draw resistance which makes it easy to inhale the vapor. It has an isolated vapor path so you don’t have to worry about something that might affect the vapor’s purity and flavor. I got 4-5 good hits every session which is pretty average for a mid-tier vape.
Battery Performance: The Edge has a 2300 mAh battery which can last up to 90 minutes of continuous vaping which is probably enough for a whole day. The recharge time is quick since it uses a USB-C charging cable.
For a mid-priced vape, the vapor quality of the Edge is quite impressive. The flavor and the cloud production is great and probably what you’ll expect from a $150 vape. The flavor peaks in the 370°F to 390°F range, any lower and the flavor isn’t as strong, any higher and it gets too harsh. Overall, the vapor quality is suitable for both beginners and advanced users. However, if it comes to flavor and potency of the vapor- the Edge is nowhere near to high-end vapes.
If you’re fond of using Healthy Rips vaporizers, the Edge is a great upgrade to the previous Fury models and an addition to the platform of vaporizers with a similar design. It has accessories that improve the versatility of this device which makes it a good companion for both beginners and advanced vapers.
However, if you’re looking for a vaporizer that will give you a premium experience, I suggest you invest a little more. There are better options out there such as the Zeus Arc GT (Review | Buy) and Pax 3 (Review | Buy) which are top-tier when it comes to vapor quality and longevity.