Storz & Bickel’s products have always been at the top of our best dry herb vaporizers list – and for good reason. S&B is well known for being the standard-setter in the industry, especially after having started it all when they released the Volcano (review) 20 years ago. Their portables, the Mighty and the Crafty+ (Plus) have also long set the bar for peak performance, functional design, and long-term durability.
Since the Crafty+ was released in 2019 – S&B had kept quiet and hadn’t released any new or updated devices. Till September 2021, when S&B announced a new ONYX color for the Volcano and both portables were updated – with the Mighty being re-released as the awaited Mighty+ (plus), while the Crafty + (plus) got several updates of its own. The Crafty + now charges 25 minutes faster via USB-C and has a new ceramic coated filling chamber.
The Crafty+ may be the smaller portable, but what it lacks in power and performance- it makes up for in size and portability. The Crafty+ (plus) boasts a quick 1-minute heat-up time, 3 in-device pre-set temperatures, a granular temperature control via the accompanying app, an internal 2800mAH battery, and a device body made from medical grade plastic called PEEK. It also employs the same S&B signature hybrid conduction/convection oven that delivers consistent vapor quality at each use.
Compatibility: The Crafty+ is primarily a dry herb vaporizer but is compatible with solid wax concentrates. While the new ceramic coating in the oven might make using the Crafty with concentrates easier, I’d still highly recommend keeping your concentrate device separate from your main dry herb device. I tested my Crafty+ (plus) with THC herb from my local dispensary and CBD herb from In-Hemp.
Kit and Accessories
All Storz & Bickel product kits usually cover all the bases, coming with the necessary extras and cleaning tools you need to use your devices at their best. Here’s what comes in the Crafty+ Kit (View Store):
- Crafty+ device
- USB-C Cable
- Base seal rings
- Coarse & normal screens
- Dosing Capsule
- Cleaning Brush
- Concise use and safety instructions
Previous versions of the Crafty kit had different inclusions, like the filling aid (View Store) that came with the first kit in 2014, and the capsule caddy that came with the 2019 Crafty + kit. Now, both those accessories and more are available as part of what S&B calls the Side Kit which is compatible with all the brand’s portables.
The Side Kit contains:
- Capsule Caddy – Holds a maximum of four dosing capsules and that can be attached to your keychain. This may also be purchased separately and is priced at $6.
- Filling Aid – For convenient and straightforward packing. It stores herbs and funnels it into the oven when needed. The Filling Aid is also available to purchase separately and is an essential accessory to have with any S&B device.
- Herb Mill – To grind your chosen herb into the perfect, fluffy consistency.
The Side Kit also comes with the following spares: mouthpiece, seal ring, coarse & normal screens, and a cleaning brush (View Store).
Design and Features
The Crafty+ (plus) is without a doubt, an extremely portable device – at only 4.4 in tall and weighing only 120g, this is a device that can be taken anywhere. The exterior shell is constructed out of a plastic named PEEK, used in various applications in the medical, automotive, and aerospace industries. All of which should assure you that the Crafty+ is pretty durable and can take a bit of a beating. Not that you should toss it around, but since it’s designed to be brought out it’s not the end of its life if you do accidentally drop it.
The finned design that encompasses the entire device body isn’t just eye-catching, it’s also incredibly functional. Expertly angled upwards and out for effective heat dissipation. At the top of the device is the swiveling mouthpiece, which sits atop the cooling unit. There’s also a patterned leather accent with the S&B logo squarely under the mouthpiece.
Base/ body: On the base of the device – you’ll find the firing/power button and two LED light strips that indicate the device status. In comparison to the rest of the devices in the market, the Crafty is definitely subtly attractive. The entire device is primarily black, except for the Crafty+ logo, firing button, and the hidden stir tool which are all in the S&B signature orange.
Cooling Unit: At the top of the unit is the mouthpiece that tucks/swivels away when not in use. Essentially the cooling unit is a vapor path that’s within the small case at the top of the device. Hot air travels from the heating chamber, it travels through the maze-like path in the unit, and then through the mouthpiece – resulting in perfectly cooled, excellent tasting vapor.
Chamber: The Crafty+‘s oven holds about .25g of herb, which is exactly the same as the much larger Mighty+. With the filling aid, loading the Crafty is so easy and neat at every turn. Not even small particles of material end up out of the oven, everything is perfectly packed in the chamber – ready for you to vaporize. The new ceramic lining on the oven also makes it less sticky so it’s a breeze to clean after each session.
UL & TÜV certification: Just like its older brother, the Mighty+ (plus), under the hood, the Crafty+ is also constructed with medical-grade materials like stainless steel and aluminum. S&B is very meticulous when it comes to product safety, thoroughly testing their products in-house and having them certified by the TÜV SÜD in Munich, Germany. So you’re assured that you can vaporize worry-free
The 2800mAH battery on the Crafty+ lasts for 90 minutes or about six to seven bowls. One of the biggest changes to the Crafty+ is its upgrade from the outdated Micro – USB to the faster, more reliable USB-C. This update shaved off 25 minutes from its previous 90 minute charging time – bringing it down to 65 minutes. So you’ll never be without your Crafty+ for long.
Ease of use
All of S&B’s products are generally easy to use, and the Crafty+ (Plus) is no different. The Crafty+’s compact design means it doesn’t have a display – but instead has a single button to control all its operations. To use the Crafty+ (Plus):
- Twist off the cooling unit to expose the herb chamber.
- Pour your ground herb into the filling aid.
- Firmly attach the filling aid to the herb chamber, remove the stopper from the filling aid and use it to sweep the herb through the open hole of the filling aid into the herb chamber. You also have the option of filling dosing capsules in advance and just popping them into the oven.
- Remove the filling aid and then reattach the cooling unit.
- Turn on the device and select your temperature.
- Once the vape finishes heating, swivel out the mouthpiece and inhale from it.
Loading the Crafty+ (Plus) is done by hand, which might get a bit messy sometimes. So why not make it a bit easier for yourself and use these optional accessories (View Store):
- A small herb spoon (buy on Amazon) to help you place your herbs into the oven- without spilling particles everywhere and keep your hands free of herb. This works with either the Crafty+ or any other dry herb vape.
- Or even better, purchase the Filling Aid sold by S&B for $5 (View Store). The filling aid is essentially a storage container that funnels herb directly into the oven. Definitely, a must-have for the Crafty+ and Mighty+. It keeps things clean and neat and helps you pack a perfect oven each time.
The Crafty + comes with three pre-set temperature settings straight out of the box. This is one more than the original released in 2014. Pressing the power button twice (boost) or three times (super-boost) during a session activates one of the modes. Boost will increase the temperature by 10 to 15 °F and the super-boost will increase to the maximum temperature (410 °F). This is great for getting the most out of your herbs towards the end of a session. So while there is no way to control the exact temperature directly on the device, you can gradually increase the temperature and make the most out of your plants.
As mentioned earlier, the Crafty+ doesn’t have a display, but everything may be controlled to a T with the Crafty+ app. On the app, you can select any temperature between 104°F and 410°F. Although, it currently only works with Android- ever since Apple banned all vaping-related apps on their app store. If you have an iPhone, you may opt to use the web app. although, in my experience, the app didn’t work with Chrome or Safari. Meaning you’ll have to download a separate browser – I ended up just sticking to the onboard controls.
Cleaning and maintenance
Thanks to its clever design, the Crafty+ (Plus) and Mighty+ (Plus) are both easy to clean. There are really only 2 parts that become dirty and eventually need cleaning.
- The Cooling Unit and Mouthpiece– The cooling unit can be disassembled for cleaning, or completely replaced for around $20 (View Store). Being able to replace the cooling unit is a feature you don’t find in many vaporizers like the Pax 3 (review) or the DaVinci IQC (review).
- The oven (aka Heating Chamber)– Since you can remove the entire Air cooling unit that sits on top, there is very convenient access to the oven (for cleaning and packing). The oven needs to be cleaned every 20-40 uses or so with some alcohol wipes. Using dosing capsules significantly reduces the amount of residue that accumulates in the oven.
Performance & Vapor Quality
S&B sets the standard in vapor quality, and to do this – all devices use a hybrid conduction/convection combination to heat the herb. This method is far more thorough than if it was either one of them alone. This results in vapor that is dense, flavorful, and more potent. It heats to temperature in about one minute, which isn’t exactly the fastest – but it’s a good enough time to wait for quality vapor.
For a top-loading device with a relatively short airpath, every draw on the Crafty+ (plus) is nothing short of smooth and easy. Thanks to the cooling unit, the vapor is neither harsh nor irritating on the lungs, even on the highest boost setting. I found that starting with quick, 3 to 5 second draws and then working my way up are best for the Crafty+ since the vapor is quite potent – it’s just best to pace yourself.
Draw resistance: some smaller vaporizers usually have pretty high draw resistance, resulting in a draw that’s similar to drinking a thick milkshake through a straw. Thanks to S&B’s precision design on the cooling unit, draw resistance on the Crafty+ (Plus) is really low. Every draw is incredibly smooth and natural.
Mighty+ vs. Crafty+
The Crafty+ and the Mighty+ have a lot in common, yet also have very notable differences.
Here is how they differ:
- Size & Portability: The Crafty+ is about half the size of the Mighty, which means it’s the more portable device.
- Device Controls & Screen: The Crafty doesn’t have a screen and onboard device controls like the Mighty+. Instead, it has a single-button interface and an accompanying app.
- Battery life: Mighty+ has about double the battery life of the Crafty+.
- Price difference: the Mighty+ currently retails for $400 while the Crafty+ is $280.
Here is what’s the same between both vapes:
- New Ceramic Coating on the chamber: Just like with the Mighty+ and the Volcano, the 2021 version of the Crafty+ was released with a new ceramic coating.
- USB-C charging: The previous Mighty used to be compatible with a proprietary charger. But now, both devices have been upgraded to the faster, more stable, and accessible USB-C.
- Temperature and Oven Capacity: Both vapes have the same temperature range of 104°F to 410°F and have an oven capacity of around .25gr dry herb.
- Hybrid Heating: While both vapes use the same hybrid heating system, which produces similar results, the Mighty performs slightly better as it has more energy available to power the heating element.
Between the two devices, If you don’t mind the size and the extra cost – I’d highly recommend the Mighty+. While, yes, the Crafty+ is a pretty good device. The Mighty+ packs more power and its onboard controls make it so much easier to use.
The Crafty+ is great – no doubt about it. It’s extremely portable, stays cool regardless of which temperature you’re on and even after successive sessions, and delivers the excellent vapor quality that S&B is well known for.
If anything, the only downside is not being able to fully control the temperature on the device itself, and that’s where the Mighty + comes in – if you’re willing to spend $80 more. But if you don’t mind having to use the app and want a device that you can carry around with ease – I can’t recommend the Crafty+ (Plus) enough. If you’re still on edge and want to browse, other options you might be interested in, check out our list of the best dry herb vaporizers of 2023.