Pax 3 Review
TVG reviews products
The Good: Excellent vapor quality | Sleek, stylish minimalist design | Very portable & discreet | Simple interface & Smartphone app | 90 Minutes battery life
The Bad: Involved cleaning procedure | Device gets warm during intense usage
The Bottom Line: If portability and stealthiness are your top priorities, very few vapes compare to the Pax 3. but, if you are a stay-at-home-vaper, you should go for a larger vape.
$249 Visit Pax Vapor
Kit & Accessories:
Pax 3 is available as a “Device Only” or a “Complete Kit”
Device only ($199) includes everything that you need in order to vape dry herb:
- Pax 3 vaporizer
- Oven lid (full oven)
- Two mouthpieces, flat and raised
- Maintenance/cleaning kit
- Magnetic charging dock
And the Compete kit ($249) adds:
- Concentrate insert- to use with extracts
- Extra (half oven) lid- use the pax with half the regular dry herb oven
- Multi tool- to pack, empty, clean the oven
- 3 Replacement screens
Compatibility: The Pax 3 is compatible with dry herbs, as well as with extracts using the Concentrate Insert.
Pax 3 mouthpiece options: The kit comes with two mouthpieces- Flat and Raised.
- The flat mouthpiece preserves the sleek and simple shape of the Pax 3, but I found that it feels a little awkward to use. Your lip is around the mouthpiece and the side of the device, which sometimes gets dirty or warm.
- The raised one feels a little better, as your lips only touch the silicone mouthpiece. But in general, I’m not a big fan of this style of mouthpieces. I prefer the straw style mouthpieces (such as the Mighty’s or Solo 2), they are easier to use and tend to result in a cooler vapor.
Chamber capacity: Pax 3 comes with 2 Dry Herb oven lids: full-oven and half-oven.
- With the full-oven lid, you can fit around .35 gram of dry herb in the oven
- The half-oven lid reduces that by half, so between .15-.20g. I really like having the half oven option, If I just want to take a couple of hits and not use a lot of herbs. With most vaporizers (Pax included), you can NOT split an oven into multiple sessions. Once you start vaping, the herb in the oven is no longer reusable. So having an option for a full or half oven is very convenient and efficient.
- Flat mouthpiece
- Full Oven | Half Oven | Concentrate Insert
Concentrate insert: The full kit also comes with a Concentrate lid, which can be used with extract. Although I found that the pax 3 does not do well with extracts, and gets dirty and sticky. Using extracts means more maintenance and cleaning. I highly recommend buying a vape pen for your extracts and separating them from your main dry herb vape.
Magnetic charging dock: The Pax 3 snaps into charge just by sliding it over the charger. This is a very convenient feature but it has one drawback: if you lose/ forget the charger somewhere, you have no way of charging your Pax. I personally prefer micro USB chargers over propietery chargers such as Pax’s. It makes finding a charger easier, as they are available everywhere.
- A good grinder is always recommended. Properly ground herb will increase efficiency, air flow, and extraction. Check out the SLX Grinder on Amazon.
- Pax 3 also has a bunch of accessories available on Amazon- see them here.
Design & Features:
Pax 3 Design:
Simple but stylish is the best way to describe the Pax 3. It’s just under four inches tall and shaped like a rounded rectangle. It feels good in the hand and slips easily into a pocket, purse or backpack.
There are no buttons on its surface to interfere with the minimalist design. All you see in its sleek appearance are the iconic and informative petal lights on the front, and the magnetic connections on the back.
Build Quality: The Pax 3 is made from anodized aluminum
Cleaning and maintenance:
Cleaning the Pax 3 can be an involved process compared to other vapes. Here is why-
You need to clean three main parts- the mouthpiece, oven, and vapor path. The process will include alcohol wipes, pipe cleaners (which Pax includes in the kit) and other accessories. Now, sure, you don’t need to do that after every use, but every 10-15 uses, you’ll want to give it a good clean.
Vapes such as the Crafty, Mighty, or Solo 2 have a much “maintenance free” design. The mouthpiece is the vapor path. And with Solo 2 it’s also the oven. You can read the individual reviews for more info, but basically they are much easier to clean/maintain.
Other Notable Features:
- Lip sensing technology: Pax 3 knows whether you take back-to-back draws or if take a long time between draws. The vaporizer will make real-time adjustments to work most efficiently with your vaping style.
- Haptic feedback: The vaporizer will indicate your status by vibrating. For example, when it’s reached temperature and is ready to vape (or you stare at the petal lights to find out when it’s time).
Pax 3 smartphone app
The app allows you to name your Pax 3, customize its user interface, & lock it to prevent anyone else from using it. Plus, it also has video tutorials, live temperature display, and control over the dynamic modes.
The dynamic modes provide different temperature options:
- Standard Mode – a balanced mode for first time vapers.
- Boost Mode – temperature increases faster and cools down more slowly. Great for quickie sessions.
- Flavor Mode – faster temp increase and faster cool down increases flavor preservation.
- Stealth Mode – great for low profile vapers because it produces less vapor and odor, speeds up cool down times, and dims the LED lights.
- Efficiency Mode – the oven temperature increases by 1° over the length of each session. Great for saving battery life.
How to use:
- Grind your herbs and fill the chamber
- Turn the device on by pressing down once in the center of the mouthpiece.
- Select a temperature (see below).
- Wait for the device to reach desired temperature, indicated by the LED interface and a vibration. Slowly inhale through the mouthpiece.
View full user manual.
Temperature options: With the smartphone app, Pax 3 can adjust to any temperature between 360F and 420F.
Without the app, you can press the mouthpiece for two-seconds to enter temperature settings mode, and click it once to cycle through 4 levels indicated by the LED. Exit temp mode by pressing down the mouthpiece (or by shaking the device).
- Empty the oven at the end of every session. It’ll make cleaning easier and keep your Pax 3 in good shape.
- Check out our dry herb vaping tips to up your game.
Performance and vapor quality:
Performance: Pax 3 performs great for it’s size. The heat up time was around 15-20 seconds, but good vapor only started coming 30 seconds later. Towards the end of the session the vape usually gets a little warm, which is typical in smaller vapes.
Battery: 3500mAh (up from 3000mAh in the Pax 2). In my tests I got about 7-9 sessions on each battery, each session lasting around 10 minutes. This is a total of around 80-90 minutes of use which is very impressive considering the size of the Pax. They battery life is better than I expected.
Vapor Quality: The Pax 3 is known as one of the standard-setters of the vaping industry, and in some respects it lives up to that reputation. The first couple hot hits are usually amazing, and then the flavor and vapor quality slowly degrades. Towards the end of the session the vapor becomes a little warm. Overall it produces good tasting vapor, but not as good as the vapes such as Mighty. But hey, Pax is a fifth the Mighty’s size.
Pax 3 vs Crafty vs DaVinci IQ:
|Category||Pax 3||Crafty||Davinci IQ|
|Compatible with||Dry herb, Wax||Dry herb, Wax||Dry herb|
|Heating Method||Conduction||Conduction/ Convection hybrid||Conduction|
|Battery Life||90 minutes||65 minutes||90 minutes|
|Warranty||10 years||2 years||10 years|
|Unique Features||Lip sensing, boost modes||Excellent mouthpiece design||Zirconia air-path|
|Price||$249.99 directly from Pax Vapor||$279 from Vape-Smart||$274.99 directly from DaVinci|
Pax 3 is small, elegant, intuitive, and it performs very well for its size. However, the compact design that makes it so travel-friendly also makes the vapor and device a little warmer than optimal towards the end of vaping sessions. But if portability is your #1 priority, Pax is a great option.
Who is it for: If you vape out of the house a lot, travel, vape in clubs, concerts or restaurants, the Pax 3 should be your top choice. It has the best size/performance ratio in the industry.
Who is it NOT for: If you don’t care about portability and vape mostly at home, you should go for a larger vape such as Solo 2 or Mighty.
Pax 3 Coupon Codes (Authorized Dealers):
|Vape World||$249.99||TVG10 for 10% off|