As vaping is catching up among the masses, more and more enthusiasts are preparing their own THC e-liquids at home. This is mainly because the users can choose the potency and flavor of their e-liquids. Another important factor that is adding to the popularity of home-made cannabis e-liquids is that is not that hard to make them.
There are a number of ways to make your own THC e-liquid, however in this article we will discuss the most popular and cost-effective technique.
Before you take a plunge into the main process of preparing your own THC e-liquid, it is extremely important that you go through the decarboxylation step. This is because the raw cannabis contains high quantity of THCA which is not psychoactive and thus does not give you the high that one is looking for in a potent THC e-liquid. Decarboxylation is the process of applying heat to the cannabis to make is psychoactive. It can be done is six simple steps.
- Heat up an oven to about 115° C or 240° F.
- Take the required amount of cannabis flowers and buds and break up the material in small pieces. For the purpose of making an e-liquid the ideal amount is about 30-35 grams.
- Put the bud in one layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Make sure that the pan is neither too small nor too big for the layer of material.
- Bake the leaves in the oven for about 40 minutes and keep stirring the material so that it is baked evenly.
- The easiest way to find whether your material has baked is to check its changing color. When the material becomes dark brown it means that the bud has baked well.
- Once your material is fully baked, use a food processor to grind it. Make sure it does not get reduced to powdery form.
Now you are all set to start the core process of preparing your own THC e-liquid. The first step is to collect the material and equipment in one place. Let’s have a look at what all you require to make your THC e-liquid.
- Propylene Glycol
- About 6 grams of good quality cannabis; you can take more quantity depending on how strong you would like your e-liquid to be.
- High proof grain alcohol. Make sure you do not use rubbing alcohol.
- Two mason jars
- Few 5ml dropper bottles
- Cheese cloth for filtration
- One baking tray
- Aluminum foil
- Cookpot and oven
Once you have collected all the material and equipment, choose a well-ventilated place to make your THC e-liquid. In the first step put the decarboxylated cannabis leaves into the mason jar. Now start filling the mason jar with grain alcohol and keep pouring until the material is fully covered with alcohol.
In the next step pour water into a pot till about 4 inches and place mason jar in it. Now place the pot on the stove and start heating it up. In this process some of the alcohol in the jar gets evaporated. Make sure that you choose a well-ventilated place for this process. While heating up the pot keep stirring cannabis so that essential element present in the herb is extracted. Keep heating up the pot to allow most of the alcohol to evaporate. As the THC gets absorbed in the remaining alcohol, the color of the mixture becomes dark. In case you have used more cannabis the color will be darker.
When the mixture becomes thick, you may put some more grain alcohol in the jar by keeping it in the same position. By doing so, you can extract the optimum amount of THC from your bud.
The next step is to filter the mixture. Take the mason jar off the stove, let it cool down a bit and cover the second mason jar with a cheesecloth. Now pour the mixture into the second mason jar slowly and carefully so that it does not spill over. Once you have poured the whole mixture into the cheesecloth, you may squeeze it a bit to ensure that all the liquid is transferred to the second jar. With the remaining mixture you may repeat the previous step until there is only about 5ml of mixture is left in the mason jar. Use the dropper to measure the remaining mixture.
Now it is time to add propylene glycol in the mixture. This makes about 25 ml of liquid out of the 6 grams of cannabis that was recommended. You may also use vegetable glycerin and at this stage you may experiment with the dosage.
The product that you get with this process is potent and can be added with flavors of your choice. This is the reason home-made THC e-liquids are gaining popularity at a fast pace. Just follow the process and enjoy custom vaping experience.