The KandyPens Rubi (Full review | Buy) vs the Pax Era (Full review | Buy)? This seems like a mismatch doesn’t it? After all, the Rubi is an e-cigarette and the Era is an oil vaporizer. However, the Rubi has a trick up its sleeve, it can vape THC and CBD oils in addition to e-liquids, something even some of the Best e-Cigs can’t manage.
It seems like that kind of versatility would put the Pax Era at a disadvantage but the fact that it’s an oil vaporizer that’s as simple to use as an e-cigarette puts it in contention. It uses pre-filled cartridges that easily slip in and out of the Era plus it doesn’t use any buttons and has smartphone support. How many of the Best Oil Vaporizers can say that?
It seems like choosing between the two would be tough but that’s why this KandyPens Rubi vs Pax Era comparison is here. By the time it’s over, you’ll know which one of these vapes is for you. Now let’s get started!
KandyPens Rubi vs Pax Era: Design and Features
The Rubi is only 4 inches tall and, amazingly, the Era is even shorter at 3.3 inches, so portability is pretty much a non-issue with both these vapes. If you can’t find space to carry either (or even both!) of them then you’re probably naked. In which case, portability really is a non-issue since you’re not going anywhere. I hope.
If you plan to refill when you’re out and about then finding space for the Pax Era pods shouldn’t be too difficult since they’re small and slim. Finding room for a refill bottle for the Rubi might be a slightly bigger issue but if you gotta vape then I’m sure you’ll find some space.
- The Rubi uses a ceramic coil with Japanese cotton. Ceramic has high temperature resistance and does not affect the flavor of the e-juice or oil at any temperature.
- The Pax Era uses a 2mm silica wick with both ends submerged. This prevents the wick from drying out and enables it to be used with oils of various viscosities.
The KandyPens Rubi
- Small and highly portable
- Rounded edges feel good to hold
- Leak proof
- Rubi pod is easy to remove
- Available in a variety of colors
- Refilling Rubi pod can be time consuming
- No way to check e-juice level without removing Rubi pod
- No temperature selection
The Pax Era
- Very small, very portable
- Pax Era pods are easy to attach and remove
- Very easy to operate because it’s draw activated
- Manual temperature selection is easy
- Smartphone app provides extra customization options
- Only uses pre-filled pods
- Only available in one basic color
- Smartphone app is necessary for precise temperature control
- KandyPens Rubi – compatible with e-liquids of varying nicotine levels, VG/PG ratios, and nicotine salts. It is also compatible with THC and CBD oils.
- Pax Era – it is only compatible with oil in the pre-filled Pax Era pods. The oils do come in a variety of strains and intensity levels.
- KandyPens Rubi – this is capable of producing huge clouds if you use low nicotine level e-liquids.
- Pax Era – it can produce big clouds but huge vapor production depends on the strain being used.
Device Longevity and Reliability
KandyPens Rubi – KandyPens are reliably reliable with supportive support and serviceable service. Wait! That last one is wrong, their customer service is pretty good, not just serviceable. That’s how they got their reputable reputation. Yes, I did take this too far.
*Warranty – Lifetime
Pax Era – Pax has a good reputation for pretty much everything and that includes customer service. So you shouldn’t have to worry about a lack of customer support or service. You don’t have to worry about the Era breaking down either because the anodized aluminum shell is really durable.
*Warranty – One year limited
Battery and Charging
- 280 mAh Li ion battery
- Lasts for ~250 puffs
- Takes ~80 minutes to charge
- 240 mAh Li ion battery
- Lasts for 100 to 200 puffs
- 45 minute charge time
KandyPens Rubi vs Pax Era: Ease of use
- Simple draw activated operation
- Rubi pods are easy to remove and replace
- Open pod system is versatile and customizable
- Pre-filled cartridges are very convenient
- Draw activated operation is simple
- Can manually select from four preset temperatures
Device Operational Differences
How to Use the KandyPens Rubi
- Remove the mouthpiece from the rest of the Rubi.
- Remove the rubber stopper from the pod, fill the pod with your e-liquid, and replace the stopper.
- Prime the Rubi pod. *details below*
- Place the mouthpiece back into the rest of the Rubi and inhale.
It’s important to prime the Rubi pod before step 4, this is a very short, quick process. Simply inhale from the mouthpiece 3-5 times before moving on to step 4. Skipping this step will result in dry hits and you definitely don’t want that. You only need to do this once per Rubi pod. The Rubi works well whether you use MTL (mouth to lung) or DLI (direct lung inhale) techniques.
How to Use the Pax Era
- Shake the Era without a cartridge in it to change the temperature.
- Once the temperature has been chosen, place a cartridge onto the body of the Era.
- Inhale from the mouthpiece.
There’s not much to using the Pax Era or the Rubi, if anything, they’re easier to use than actual cigarettes.
KandyPens Rubi vs Pax Era Comparison: Final Thoughts
Now that you’ve got a detailed look at the KandyPens Rubi (Full review | Buy) and the Pax Era (Full review | Buy), it’s time to decide which one is right for you. It’s simple really, if you enjoy vaping e-liquids, THC oils, and CBD oils then choose the Rubi. It can cater to (nearly) your every vaping whim.
If you prefer the convenience and simplicity of pre-filled cartridges and you only care about vaping oil then it’s the Era for you. As long as you live in—or really close to—one of the states where Era pods are sold. If you don’t then the Rubi is a good choice. It’s a Great e-Cigarette and a Terrific Oil Vaporizer all in one. The Era is a great competitor but it’s limited availability is an undeniable factor for most people no matter how good it is. And it’s good.
Thanks for reading my KandyPens Rubi vs Pax Era comparison, for more comparisons, news, and reviews, you’re already in the right place.