The KandyPens Rubi (Full Review | Buy) and the JUUL (Full Review | Buy) are two e-cigs with some serious similarities as well as some serious differences. They’re both top quality e-cigs that can challenge the Best e-cigs on the market. So, which one is right for you? That’s what this article is all about.
I can tell you that the KandyPens Rubi has an open pod system, meaning that it comes with a refillable pod that supports any type of e-liquid. The JUUL implements a closed pod system, which means that it functions with disposable e-juice pods—exclusive to the JUUL—that need to be replaced when they’re empty. What does that mean for you? Check out the rest of my KandyPens Rubi vs JUUL comparison to find out!
KandyPens Rubi vs JUUL: Design and Features
These two e-cigs have some similar features as well as one significant difference that sets them apart from each other. Let’s take a closer look.
The KandyPens Rubi is only four inches tall and the JUUL is slightly shorter, needless to say, portability isn’t exactly an issue with either e-cig. You can fit each of them pretty much anywhere. The bigger consideration is not with the e-cigs but what medium they use.
You’ll need to account for any extra JUUL pods with the JUUL or any e-liquid bottles for the Rubi. The JUUL pods are so small that keeping track of them sometimes presents a problem. E-liquid bottles are not the kind of thing you usually carry around with you, so making space for them could be a slight issue—as well as simply remembering to refill your Rubi when the ejuice gets low.
- The JUUL uses a standard wick with a nichrome coil. Nichrome is a nickel chrome alloy commonly used in heating systems because it’s strong, corrosion resistant, and stable at high temperatures.
- The KandyPens Rubi uses a ceramic coil with Japanese cotton. Ceramic coils can withstand high temperatures without affecting the flavor of the e-juice, which is why they’re regularly used in vaporizers.
The KandyPens Rubi
- Small and highly portable
- Rounded edges feel good to hold
- Leak proof
- Rubi pod is easy to remove
- Refilling Rubi pod can be time consuming
- No way to check e-juice level without removing Rubi pod
- Angular design is stylish and ergonomic
- JUUL pods are simple to remove
- Battery level is easy to check
- Can determine e-liquid level without removing the JUUL pod
- Susceptible to leaks
- Leaks can prevent the JUUL from working properly
- KandyPens Rubi – compatible with all types of e-liquids. You can use e-juices with different PG/VG ratios, nicotine salts, or CBD e-liquids.
- JUUL – compatible only with JUUL pods. JUUL pods use only nicotine salts and come in a variety of flavors.
- KandyPens Rubi – The Rubi is capable of producing huge amounts of vapor. You can choose a lower nicotine level e-liquid and take in more air, which results in big clouds.
- JUUL – the JUUL produces a good amount of vapor, but no more than a standard e-cigarette. Pre-filled pods mean that nicotine levels are always fixed so there’s no way to adjust the amount of vapor produced.
Device Longevity and Reliability
KandyPens Rubi – KandyPens has a good reputation when it comes to reliability and customer service. So, even though the Rubi is brand new, I fully expect them to uphold their reputation. If issues arise with the Rubi—or any other product we test—reviews are updated accordingly.
*Warranty – Lifetime
JUUL – JUULs are pretty reliable and even when some leaking occurs, it’s usually an easy fix (a q-tip swipe to the coil does the trick). If there does happen to be an issue with your device, JUUL’s warranty allows for hassle free replacements within the one year warranty period.
*Warranty – 1 year limited
Battery life and Charging
- 280 mAh Li ion battery
- Lasts for ~250 puffs
- Takes ~80 minutes to charge
- Uses standard micro-USB cable
- 200 mAh Li ion battery
- Lasts for 100-200 puffs
- One hour charge time
- Uses a proprietary charger that costs $9.99 to replace
KandyPens Rubi vs JUUL: Ease of use
- Draw activated – no power button needed
- Rubi pod is easy to remove
- Rubi pod refill is easy
- Draw activated – no power button necessary
- JUUL pods are easy to remove and replace
- JUUL pods never need to be refilled
The KandyPens Rubi vs JUUL: Device Differences in Practice
Using the KandyPens Rubi
Using the Rubi requires the following simple steps:
- Remove the mouthpiece from the rest of the Rubi.
- Remove the rubber stopper from the pod, fill the pod with your e-liquid, and replace the stopper.
- Prime the Rubi pod. *details below*
- Place the mouthpiece back into the rest of the Rubi and inhale.
It’s important to prime the Rubi pod before step 4, this is a very short, quick process. Simply inhale from the mouthpiece 3-5 times before moving on to step 4. Skipping this step will result in dry hits and you definitely don’t want that. You only need to do this once per Rubi pod. The Rubi works well whether you use MTL (mouth to lung) or DLI (direct lung inhale) techniques.
Using the JUUL
The JUUL is a simple, intuitive e-cig to use:
- Place a full JUUL pod onto the battery.
- Inhale from the mouthpiece to start vaping.
That’s it, just two steps. The simplicity of the JUUL means that it closely mimics traditional cigarette smoking. As a result, it’s the ideal e-cig for smokers looking to quit. The JUUL works best using the MTL technique. Using the DLI technique could result in getting e-juice in your mouth.
KandyPens Rubi vs JUUL Comparison: Final Thoughts
The KandyPens Rubi (Full Review | Buy) and the JUUL (Full Review | Buy) are well matched. Your choice boils down to whether you prefer the freedom of a refillable Rubi pod or the convenience of easily replaceable JUUL pods. There is no right answer and both systems have their advantages and drawbacks.
The open pod system of the Rubi gives you the choice to use any type of e-liquid you want. This means that you can choose from a wider spectrum of e-juice flavors and types. Filling the pod can be a hassle but it’s less expensive in the long term. You don’t get any e-liquid included in the kit so you need to buy some along with the Rubi.
The JUUL’s closed pod system is far more convenient and simple to use, and if you choose to use JUUL’s autoship program, you never need to worry about replacing your JUUL pod. You get a sample of four different JUUL pods with the starter kit, so you don’t have to make any additional purchases initially.
That’s what it comes down to, convenience vs freedom, once you know your preference, you’ll know which one of these top class e-cigs is the one for you. For more e-cigarette choices, check out our list of the Best e-cigs.