The Ghost MV1 (Full Review | Buy) and Arizer Solo 2 (Full Review | Buy) are two vaporizers with a few things in common: They’re both better suited for home use than carrying out of the house with ease. The Ghost supports dual use (both dry herb and cannabis extracts) while the Arizer Solo 2 is for use with dry herb. Both have vapor cooling glass mouthpieces.
The Ghost and the Solo 2 are the kind of vapes that make it onto our list of the Best Dry Herb Vaporizers due to innovative features and thoughtful construction. This Ghost MV1 vs Solo 2 comparison focuses on helping you determine which of these high end vaporizers is the right one for you by taking a very close look at their unique qualities.
Ghost MV1 vs Arizer Solo 2: Design and Features
Everybody has different needs when it comes to vaping styles and preferences. Here are a few major things to keep in mind when it comes to deciding which of these vaporizers for weed you should invest in.
- Both of these pot vaporizers are too large to be used as true portables, they’re better suited for use as at-home vapes.
- This is great in its own right because they are more powerful than smaller, on-the-go type vapes and serve as an excellent piece to use by yourself, or with company.
Session vs On Demand
- Session vaporizer – which means that you use all your herb in a single vaping session: Pack it, vape it, cash it—next oven, please!
- Oven Size- Arizer Solo 2 = 0.2 grams = ~12-15 (session) hits
- On-demand heating – meaning you can take a hit, put down the MV1 for a while, return, and take another hit. Do this until your herb is cashed.
- Oven Size- Ghost MV1 = 0.12 grams = ~3-5 (on demand) hits
We’ll take a closer look at the actual usage process of each of these vapes in the coming paragraphs.
- The Ghost MV1 uses a convection heating system and the Arizer Solo 2 uses a hybrid convection-conduction system.
- Both heat your herb quickly and evenly, but with a strictly convection oven, no heat ever actually comes in contact with your material—which usually produces optimal flavor.
The Ghost MV1
- Very stylish, futuristic look in its alloy shell which comes in 4 metallic colors: Black chrome, Silver, Nickel, Rose gold. Attention-grabbing that’ll prompt people to ask, “WTF is that?!?”
- Ergonomic design feels comfortable to hold.
- Modular design provides versatility.
- Retractable glass mouthpiece cools down the vapor and can adjust the airflow.
- Ghost Vapes claims that it is fingerprint resistant but we found that wasn’t the case. It does get fingerprints and needs occasional cleaning.
- The MV1 can stand upright but it is easy to accidentally knock over if you’re not paying attention.
- The MV1 is composed of several pieces that could break apart on impact.
The Arizer Solo 2
- Using mouthpieces to load the chamber is simple and convenient.
- Feels comfortable in your hand. Sturdy unibody construction.
- Intuitive and clear interface. The controls are easy to access and fool-proof to operate.
- Comes in 2 colors: Carbon Black, Mystic Blue
- A large battery and dedicated wall charger both contribute to its larger package, but also to its performance capability.
- Susceptible to getting knocked over because of its tall, skinny design.
- The glass mouthpiece is very exposed and vulnerable to breakage.
- Design is functional but plain.
- Ghost MV1 – compatible with both dry herbs and THC concentrates.
- Arizer Solo 2 – can vape dry herbs and also functions as an aromatherapy diffuser.
Device Longevity and Reliability
Solo II- Arizer has a good reputation when it comes to reliability and quality; the original Solo is still a favorite of many and we can reasonably assume that the upgraded Solo 2 will as well.
* Warranty Info: Heating element – lifetime warranty, unit – 2-year warranty. battery – 1-year warranty
Ghost MV1– Ghost Vapes is too new of a company to have a reputation for reliability (or lack-thereof) so we can’t tell what to expect from them just yet—perhaps incredible quality, longevity and customer service. Let’s see! If you’ve dealt with the customer support at Ghost, please let us know how it went in the review comments.
*Warranty Info: 2 years, can be extended to 5 years if you register it on the company’s website or smartphone app.
Battery life and Charging
- Substantial battery life – approximately 70-90 hits.
- Charge time varies depending on what method you’re using:
- Micro USB – slow charging, while the battery is inserted into the MV1
- There is also an optional fast charger that can charge the battery separately from the rest of the MV1 in 2.5 hours. It retails for $60 and extra batteries are also available for $60 a pop.
- Long battery life of approximately 3 hours
- Can be charged in 90 minutes using a wall charger
- Provides ~30 hits per charge
Ghost v Solo 2: Ease of use
- Slight learning curve
- Several removable parts
- Involved component set up (you will manage, though)
- Smartphone support
- Simple to load
- Easy to control temperature settings
The Ghost MV1 vs the Arizer Solo 2: Device Differences in Practice
Using the Ghost MV1
Follow these steps to operate the Ghost MV1:
- Remove the chamber, load the herb or wax, replace the chamber.
- Hold down the power button until LEDs light up, release it then click it 3x to turn on the MV1.
- Choose the temp by holding down the power button to enter heat setting mode, click the button to choose 1 of 4 temp settings.
- Hold down the firing button on the back until the unit vibrates. That means it’s vaping time.
- Hold down the firing button while you inhale from the mouthpiece.
Step 1 is tricky in the beginning because the chamber cap doesn’t snap into place—it just sits there—which makes putting it back into the MV1 difficult.
A free smartphone app (Android and iOS compatible) gives you more temperature options.
Using the Arizer Solo 2
The Solo 2 requires the following steps:
- Pack the base of the glass mouthpiece with herb.
- Place it in the oven.
- Hold down the menu button to power up the IQ.
- Use the up/down arrows to adjust the temperature.
- Inhale from the glass mouthpiece once temp has been reached.
The Solo 2 is easy to use and since glass is a neutral material your herb never contacts any other material that could affect its taste. The borosilicate glass has a high temperature tolerance so you never have to worry about it cracking from overuse.
Ghost MV1 vs Arizer Solo 2: Final Thoughts
The Ghost MV1 (Full Review | Buy) and Arizer Solo 2 (Full Review | Buy) are two fancy pants vaporizers that you’ll be using at home and not sliding in those pockets. Both of these big vapes deliver big flavor and big battery life.
If you like longer, solo or group sessions then go for the Solo 2. If you prefer to vape on your own time, at your own pace, then the MV1 is your choice. Both of these big boys deserve a spot on the Best Vapes of 2017 list.
The Ghost MV1
- Retails for $295 from Ghost Vapes
- Convection heating system – fast, precise, on demand heating
- Stylish design – eye catching but not fingerprint proof
- Retractable glass mouthpiece – cools down the vapor and adjusts airflow
- Herb + concentrate compatibility
- Removeable crucibles – tricky to use but easy to clean
- Long battery life – charge time varies depending on the method used
The Arizer Solo 2
- Retails for $249.99 from Vape-Smart. Use coupon code TVG10 for a 10% discount
- Easy to load and use for vapers of any level
- Low maintenance, rarely requires cleaning (just periodic use of isopropyl alcohol on mouthpieces)
- Doubles as aromatherapy diffuser – included lavender sample gets you started
- Borosilicate glass mouthpieces (long + short) cool down vapor
- All-glass vapor path
- Fast charge time + long usage thanks to large battery + wall charger