How come we didn’t do a comparison between the Ghost MV1 (Full review | Buy) and the Firefly 2 (Full review | Buy) before? They’re both on-demand vaporizers, they both vape dry herb and THC concentrates, and they both have smartphone apps. Some of the Best Dry Herb Vaporizers have these features so you know these two vapes are serious business.
They have lots of other stuff in common too, both good and…not so good. There’s more of the former than the latter in both of these dual-use vaporizers but the point of this Ghost MV1 vs Firefly 2 comparison is to help you decide which of them is right for you. That means lots of detailed info. Now, time to get this comparison started.
Ghost MV1 vs Firefly 2: Design and Features
I wish I could easily take it around with me but the Ghost MV1 just too big to be a true portable. It won’t fit in any pockets and the herb loading procedure is a little too finicky to be done on the run. This is pretty much an indoor vaporizer.
The Firefly 2, is fairly large but it can slip into an average size pocket. You won’t forget it’s there but it will fit. It’s smooth design doesn’t feature any bumps or bulges like the MV1, so it easily slips in and out of pockets, purses, anywhere you can carry it really.
The MV1 and Firefly 2 are both convection, on-demand vaporizers. Convection means that the heat source never contacts your herb, many vapers feel that this better preserves the flavor of the herb. Most importantly, it ensures that the material will never ignite.
On-demand heating means that the vaporizer heats up instantly, no wait times. You can take a hit from your vape, put it down, and come back to it later. You vape on your own terms.
The Ghost MV1
- Distinctive, eye-catching device
- Ergonomic design feels comfortable in the hand
- Retractable glass mouthpiece provides cool, pure vapor and adjustable airflow
- Cool color selection
- Large, bulky device
- Shiny body is a fingerprint magnet
- Tricky loading process
The Firefly 2
- Stylish, minimalist design
- Very easy to load
- Glass airpath keeps vapor pure and cool
- Viewing window allows you to monitor the state of your herbs
- Vaping has a steep learning curve
- Battery can only be charged while it’s in the device
- High draw resistance cannot be changed
The Ghost MV1 and the Firefly 2 are both compatible with dry herb and THC concentrates. They both use concentrate pads to vape THC extracts.
- Ghost MV1: 0.12.grams
- Firefly 2: 0.2 grams
These might both seem small but keep in mind that, because of the on-demand, convection heating system, the herb lasts a long time in both devices.
Device Reliability and Longevity
Ghost MV1 – the MV1 had some growing pains at launch but the problems have been addressed and now it works perfectly. The MV1 will last a long time provided you take care of it. I take good care of mine and I haven’t had any issues aside from the ones Ghost Vapes already took care of. Thanks Ghost Vapes!
*Warranty: 2 years, can be extended to 5 years by registering at Ghost Vapes’ website
Firefly 2 – the Firefly 2 only consists of a few pieces and these types of devices tend to last a long time, and indeed my Firefly 2 is still going strong. It’s really easy to clean too. Needless to say, reliability isn’t a problem with the Firefly 2.
*Warranty: 2 years limited
Battery and Charging
- Very long battery life
- Long charging time via USB cable
- Optional fast charger costs $59.95
- Uses a convenient, swappable 7.4V Li ion battery
- Fast charge time: 45 mins – 1 hour
- Battery can only be charged while in the vaporizer
Ghost MV1 v Firefly 2: Ease of use
- Retractable mouthpiece is very convenient
- Crucibles can be preloaded for efficiency
- Smartphone app adds customization options
- Very easy to load
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Smartphone app gives users more options
Ghost MV1 vs Firefly 2: Device Operation Differences
How to use the Ghost MV1
- Load your herb into the crucible, place the lid on it, then place it in the oven and close the door.
- When using concentrates, you should place the concentrate pad in the crucible, dab your wax or drip your oil onto the pad, then follow the rest of step 1.
- Hold down the power button until LEDs light up, release it then click it 3x to turn on the MV1.
- Choose the temp by holding down the power button to enter Heat Setting Mode, click the button to choose 1 of 4 temp settings.
- Hold down the firing button on the back until the unit vibrates. This means it’s vaping time.
- Hold down the firing button while you inhale from the mouthpiece.
The first step can be tricky for first time users because the lid doesn’t snap securely onto the crucible, it just sits on top of it. That means you need to be careful when loading the crucible into the MV1. It’s also important to note that the crucible gets hot while in use, so if you need to remove it, you need to wait until it cools down.
How to use the Firefly 2
With Dry Herb
- Remove the magnetic lid, load your herb into the chamber, and replace the lid.
- Select the temperature by holding the right button while tapping the left button.
- Hold down both buttons to start heating.
- When heating is complete, inhale from the mouthpiece to start vaping.
With THC Concentrates
- Remove the magnetic lid and place the concentrate pad into the chamber.
- Dab your wax (about a rice grain size) or drip your oil (2-3 drops) onto the pad and replace the lid.
- Hold down the right button and press the left button 7 times to enter concentrate heating mode.
- Hold down both buttons to start heating.
- Inhale from the mouthpiece when heating is finished.
You can also use the app instead of the buttons to choose the temperature. Another thing to note is that the Firefly 2 works best if you stir your herb after every hit, just a slight tap of the device should be enough to mix them up a little.
Ghost MV1 vs Firefly 2: Final Thoughts
The Ghost MV1 (Full review | Buy) and the Firefly 2 (Full review | Buy) are both high quality vaporizers with great features and slight learning curves. So how do you choose? Well, the learning curve of the Ghost MV1 mostly involves the loading process, which can be tricky the first few times. Once you get acclimated to it, it’s smooth sailing afterwards, you can enjoy the terrific flavor without any trouble.
The learning curve of the Firefly 2 involves the actual vaping process and is slightly harder to get used to. You need to follow the instructions carefully and calibrate the temperature settings until you find the one that is right for you. It’s an involved process but it’s worth it once everything clicks.
Ultimately the Ghost MV1 is better for novice to advanced vapers who prefer to vape indoors, at their own pace. The overall low maintenance of the Firefly 2 is enticing but it’s better for vapers at the intermediate to advanced levels. Newcomers could get frustrated with the amount of calibration needed and the harder draw resistance. Thanks for reading my Ghost MV1 vs Firefly 2 comparison, hopefully it clears things up for you. If you need more choices, check out the list of the Best Dry Herb Vaporizers.