The Crafty is a portable vape that is really easy to use and highly customizable, whether you’re an entry level vaper or veteran. For these reasons, and because it is made by legendary Volcano manufacturer Storz & Bickel, the Crafty vaporizer is an OG and staple in the weed vape market.
The Ghost MV1 is more of a stay at home vaporizer that supports herb and THC concentrates. It’s super new, produces super vapor quality—and looks like a supernatural spaceship that’ll blast you off to new heights (because it will). These are two elite and downright baller vapes available as far as Dry Herb Vaporizers go. Now, for a little friendly comparison. 🙂
Ghost MV1 vs Crafty: Design and Features
These two vapes have a lot of features that you should know about before you make a commitment. Here are some of the ones to keep in mind before you make the big decision.
- The Crafty is on the large side for a portable but is still small enough to fit in a pants pocket.
- The Ghost MV1 is too big for any pocket so it’s better if you stay home when you want to use it.
Session vs On Demand
- Session Vaporizer – that means when you use the Crafty, you vape until your herb is cashed (~5-8 min). Vape your herb, cash your herb, repeat when you’re ready.
- Oven Size – 0.3 grams of herb = 10-15 hits per session.
- On-demand heating – meaning you can take a hit, put down the MV1 for a while, return, and take another hit. Do this until your herb is cashed.
- Oven Size- Ghost MV1 = 0.12 grams = ~3-5 (on demand) hits
The Ghost MV1 has an on demand convection system and the Crafty uses a hybrid conduction/convection setup.
Convection heating is the gold standard for vaping because, unlike conduction heating, the herb never comes into contact with the heating surface.
Think stovetop (conduction) versus oven (convection).
Convection is more efficient and tends to preserve the flavor better.
The Ghost MV1
- Very stylish, futuristic look in its alloy shell which comes in 4 metallic colors: Black chrome, Silver, Nickel, Rose gold. Attention-grabbing that’ll prompt people to ask, “WTF is that?!?”
- Ergonomic design feels comfortable to hold.
- Modular design provides versatility.
- Retractable glass mouthpiece cools down the vapor and can adjust the airflow.
- Ghost Vapes claims that it is fingerprint resistant but we found that wasn’t the case. It does get fingerprints and needs occasional cleaning.
- The MV1 can stand upright but it is easy to accidentally knock over if you’re not paying attention.
- The MV1 is composed of several pieces that could break apart on impact.
- Made from tough, sturdy plastic.
- Ribbed body cools down the unit while heating.
- Swiveling mouthpiece aids in portability.
- Ribbed body can make the unit hard to clean.
- Weird design, plastic—but it is proven to work.
- Only available in basic black.
- Ghost MV1 – compatible with dry herbs and THC concentrates.
- Crafty – compatible with dry herbs and THC concentrates.
Device Longevity and Reliability
Crafty – I purchased my Crafty in 2014—it still works perfectly. Storz & Bickel, the Crafty’s manufacturer, has an excellent reputation for service, reliability, and engineering great products.
*Warranty Info: 2 years
Ghost MV1– Ghost Vapes is too new of a company to have a reputation for reliability (or lack-thereof) so we can’t tell what to expect from them just yet—perhaps incredible quality, longevity and customer service. Let’s see! If you’ve dealt with the customer support at Ghost, please let us know how it went in the review comments.
*Warranty Info: 2 years, can be extended to 5 years if you register it on the company’s website or smartphone app.
Battery life and Charging
- Substantial battery life – approximately 70-90 hits.
- Charge time varies depending on what method you’re using:
- Micro USB – slow charging, while the battery is inserted into the MV1
- There is also an optional fast charger that can charge the battery separately from the rest of the MV1 in 2.5 hours. It retails for $60 and extra batteries are also available for $60 a pop.
- Short battery life – 45 minutes = 5-6 sessions
- 2 hour charge time via USB cable
Note: Crafty devices with firmware V02.51 or newer can upgrade battery capacity by 20%. That amounts to an extra 15-20 minutes or 2-3 extra sessions! Use the smartphone app to check your Crafty’s firmware version.
Ghost v Crafty: Ease of use
- Slight learning curve
- Several removable parts
- Involved component set up (you will manage, though)
- Smartphone support
- simple for beginners to use
- included filling aid eases loading
- optional disposable pods make loading even easier
- has smartphone/smartwatch app support
The Ghost MV1 vs the Crafty: A Closer Look
Using the Ghost MV1
Follow these steps to operate the Ghost MV1:
- Remove the chamber, load the herb or wax, replace the chamber.
- Hold down the power button until LEDs light up, release it then click it 3x to turn on the MV1.
- Choose the temp by holding down the power button to enter Heat Setting Mode, click the button to choose 1 of 4 temp settings.
- Hold down the firing button on the back until the unit vibrates. This means it’s vaping time.
- Hold down the firing button while you inhale from the mouthpiece. Enjoy 🙂
Step 1 is tricky in the beginning because the chamber cap doesn’t snap into place—it just sits there—which makes putting it back into the MV1 difficult.
A free smartphone app (Android and iOS compatible) gives you more temperature options.
Using the Crafty
Take the following steps to use the Crafty:
- Twist off the mouthpiece, place the filling tool in its place.
- Push your herb through the filler hole into the herb chamber.
a. Alternately, place the capsule caddy into the herb chamber.
- Remove the filling tool, replace the mouthpiece.
- Press the power button for 3 seconds to power up the Crafty and start the heating process.
- Once heating is complete, swivel the mouthpiece out and start vaping. Goodbye! 😉
The optional capsule caddies are small pods that you fill with herb and place in the oven. They speed and tidy up the loading process even more than the included filling aid.
The Crafty has a Boost Mode that is engaged by double tapping the power button while the unit is on. This will boost the oven temperature from the standard 356°F to 383°F, however both of these settings can be adjusted using the (Android and iOS compatible) app.
The Crafty is easy to use regardless of the loading method and the power up sequence is quick and easy.
Ghost MV1 vs Crafty: Final Thoughts
The Crafty (Full Review | Buy) is a capable, portable, session vaporizer with a seriously stellar reputation. It’s great whether you vape at home or want to take it out, anywhere from a hike to a concert. It’s tough enough to survive the rowdiest mosh pit and keep on trucking.
The Ghost MV1 (Full Review | Buy) is better suited for home use and is more complex and versatile than the Crafty. The on demand heating is great for anyone who wants to vape at their own pace and on their own schedule.
The Crafty is great as a go-to vaporizer, while the Ghost MV1 can function as an additional on demand home vaporizer if you have the money to spend on an extra unit.
Both produce impressive flavor and vapor quality so the decision of which one to get comes down to what kind of vaping experience you are looking for.
Now, the choice is yours! Still haven’t made up your mind yet? Check out Our Favorite Dry Herb Vaporizers for some more suggestions based on the best vaporizers of 2017.
The Ghost MV1
- Retails for $295 from Ghost Vapes
- Convection – fast, precise, on demand
- Stylish design – eye catching, not fingerprint proof
- Retractable glass mouthpiece – cools vapor, adjusts airflow
- Herb + concentrate compatibility
- Removable crucibles – tricky (at 1st) / easy to clean
- Long battery life – charge time varies depending on method used
- Best Deal: Vape-Smart for $279. Coupon code TVG10 = 10% off.
- Convection/Conduction heating – heats herb quickly + evenly
- Portable – fits in most (larger) pockets
- Battery: Shorter than avg. = ~45 min (pre-upgrade)
- Battery: Avg. battery life = ~60-75 min (post-upgrade)
- Durable and long lasting – might outlive you
- Readily available, inexpensive replacement parts
- Simple to use – filling aid (incl.) = simple loading