BEST DEAL: $399.99 directly from Dr. Dabber use coupon code TVG15 to save 15% sitewide
The Switch is the latest vaporizer from Dr. Dabber and it has a fancy induction heating system. What does that mean? It means that it heats up pretty darn fast. It can also vape wax and dry herb so it’s versatile too. Will the Switch be the only vaporizer you need to own? That’s up to you, but I can say that it will be one of the best vaporizers you’ll ever own.
Dr. Dabber Switch Background
The Dr. Dabber Switch ($399.99 directly from Dr. Dabber, use coupon code TVG15 to save 15%) is an advanced multi-use vaporizer that utilizes a brand-new induction system that is the fastest heating method around. Of course, a fast heat time won’t matter if the flavor isn’t great.
Since Dr. Dabber is known for making some of the Best Wax Vaporizers around, you can have confidence where your dabs are concerned. But what about your weed? Yep, the Switch can vape dry herb too! But can it do it well? That’s just one of the many things this Dr. Dabber Switch review is here to let you know about.
Induction Heating on the Dr. Dabber Switch
Induction heating is different from convection and conduction heating because it uses an electromagnetic coil to heat up the wax or herb. With this method the coil is heated from the inside out rather than the outside in.
One of the advantages to induction heating is that it is much faster than other heating methods while still reaching those wax-friendly high temperatures. Induction heating also means that you never have to worry about replacing a coil or heating element. I don’t know if induction heating is the future of e-nails, but I can say that it’s going to be hard to go back to conventional heating methods.
Dr. Dabber Switch Kit
- Dr. Dabber Switch unit
- Glass bubbler
- One black and one white ceramic nail
- Dab tool/carb cap and silicone wax container
- Tweezers and ceramic flower filter
A quartz nail can be bought separately and is a recommended (but not essential) purchase because it produces great flavor. The Switch includes a dab tool and a wax container, but if you ever need replacements for either of them, check out Amazon for a great selection.
Dr. Dabber Switch Key Features
- Compatible w/ THC concentrates and dry herb
- Uses induction heating for fast heat times
- Switching between wax and weed heating modes is fast and simple
- Wide temperature range: 300˚F – 800˚F
- Retails for $399.99 directly from Dr. Dabber, coupon code TVG15 gives you a 15% discount
Dr. Dabber Switch Design
The Switch is 9.5” tall without the glass bubbler and 13” in with the bubbler attached, so it’s pretty tall and fairly girthy. Even so, its sleek hourglass design feels comfortable to hold. All the pieces snap together neatly and the whole unit is easy to assemble. It’s kinda weird that you need to use tweezers to put the nail into and out of the heating well. It works fine and you get used to it quickly, but I can’t help but wonder what would happen if you were to ever lose those tweezers . . .
The LED lights used to indicate the temperature settings look cool and are good for basic use, but they are not as useful for advanced mode. That’s because advanced mode has 25 power settings, which are pretty hard to indicate using just 5 LED lights. The glass at the top of the unit creates ambient light in a variety of colors and patterns—a cool feature that can be turned off if you want to be more discreet.
How to Use the Dr. Dabber Switch
- Flip the power switch to the oil setting.
- Fill the glass bubbler with a few ounces of water then securely attach it to the glass top of the unit.
- Use the plus and minus buttons to choose your desired power setting.
- Place one of the ceramic nails within the glass top using the included tweezers.
- Scoop up a rice grain sized amount of wax using the dab tool then press the Go button to start the heating process.
- Dab the wax into the nail, cover it with the carb cap/dab tool, and inhale from the mouthpiece.
With the Quartz Nail
The quartz nail has a separate power setting than the concentrate and weed modes. This setting is called crystal mode and is accessed using the following procedure:
- Hold down the plus button and flip the switch to oil or leaf.
- The LED lights on the front of the unit will light up white to indicate that crystal mode is active.
- Follow the rest of the wax loading process.
With Dry Herb
- Flip the power switch to leaf mode.
- Place a few ounces of water in the glass bubbler and then attach it to the top of the unit.
- Choose your power setting using the plus and minus buttons.
- Firmly pack one of the ceramic nails with your weed and place it in the glass top of the unit using the tweezers.
- Cover the ceramic nail with the ceramic flower filter and press the Go button.
- Inhale from the mouthpiece once the desired power setting is reached.
Performance and Vapor Quality of Dr. Dabber Switch
The wax flavor of the Switch is excellent, just as you would expect from Dr. Dabber. The Switch has various power settings that allow you to prioritize flavor or cloud production. The lower, flavor optimized settings are my favorite, the higher, vapor-friendly settings can feel a little harsh but cloud chasers will be impressed. The induction heating is no joke, the ceramic nails take about three seconds to heat up on lower power settings and just twelve seconds on the higher ones.
The vapor quality of the ceramic nail is great but the flavor from the quartz nail is even better. It heats up a little more slowly than the ceramic but that’s not a big deal since the difference is just a few seconds. What is a kind of a bigger deal is that it’s not included in the package, which is a strange choice since the Dr. Dabber Boost includes quartz, ceramic, and titanium nails. The glass bubbler works great but a choice of mouthpieces would have been ideal.
Dry Herb Performance
The heating method is great for wax but unusual for dry herb and it seems like it needs some fine tuning. The reason is that current power settings are either too low or too high, resulting in either a mild flavor or a charred taste.
Dr. Dabber is still calibrating the Switch’s dry herb power settings, and I’ll update the review when those changes take effect. However, those changes will have to be in new units because the Switch doesn’t have an app that allows you to update the firmware of a current model.
Dr. Dabber claims that it can last for 150 uses on a single charge, I haven’t come close to reaching that number yet, but I haven’t needed to recharge it yet either. If that number turns out to be accurate, that would be pretty impressive since the battery only takes about an hour to charge.
Also, pass through charging is possible on the Switch, so theoretically, you never have to stop vaping. In reality, of course, it’s probably a good idea to occasionally stop vaping.
Dr. Dabber Switch Review: Final Thoughts
The Dr. Dabber Switch ($399.99 directly from Dr. Dabber, use coupon code TVG15 to save 15%) is an impressive unit whose induction heating technology could be the future of wax vaping. The jury’s still out on whether it is the future of dry herb vaping though.
It’s a cool-looking, well-designed unit, but do you need it if you already have a Great E-nail? You do if you want the fastest heat time possible but it’s not as necessary if you don’t. The Switch is a great device for all you tech enthusiasts and you definitely won’t be disappointed by it. For everyone else, a regular e-nail will probably be good enough. I hear that Dr. Dabber has a pretty good one . . .
Thanks for reading my Dr. Dabber Switch review, it’s a really cool device, but it’s not for everybody. If you’re looking for something that’s more your style, check out the rest of the site: you’re sure to find something you like.
Where to Buy the Dr. Dabber Switch
- Buy directly from Dr. Dabber for $399.99 and use coupon code TVG15 to save 15%